Sunday 13 September 2009

Victoria Park Lake people #4

Victoria Park Lake People #4
pen and sepia ink and coloured pencils in Moleskine sketchbook
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

I sometimes sketch the people on the terrace by the cafe next to the West Lake in Victoria Park when I stop there for my cup of tea on my morning walk. My aim is to develop a series of sketches in different seasons although I think I need to aim to do rather more sketches first. I get distracted by the trees and the birds............

The people who gather on this spot are interesting. They often seem to be under the misapprehension that if they you sit outside near a fountain you can't be overheard! While sketching I find I hear snatches of conversations into the sketches without even trying - I often think I ought to try and incorporate some of the words into a sketch.

5 comments:

vivien said...

you should!

do a Kurt Jackson! I remember one of his sketches of the Henley Regatta has 'David Attenborough walked by' written on it!

nice sketch

annie said...

I wasn't sure whether or not to leave a comment, today, Katherine-- my word verification is BABLING...

I do like your sketches of people in specific places because you give them anonymity, yet the setting is real, so it looks and feels like being there but it doesn't feel invasive.
annie

Jeanette Jobson said...

This looks like a great stopping point in your walk and a very good sketch.

I love listening in on conversations and making up my own stories about the people. Sketches around snippets of conversations could be quite interesting.

Laura Frankstone said...

Very nice sketch, Katherine. I don't remember your using a pen in your sketches --- I like the crispness you've achieved with a pen here.

Lindsay said...

Now, if you were a playwright, you've have it made.
I admire your confidence to sketch straight away in ink!