Thursday 4 December 2008

Introducing Laura Frankstone

I believe that restless spirits attend the birth of those of us born on islands and, in our lives thereafter, we are propelled by them. I started life on a tiny volcanic island in the middle of the Bering Sea, during a blizzard, literally encompassed by water. Though we left that island when I was a baby, I have carried those images of primordial water with me through my life. As an artist, I've turned and returned to watery motifs, most recently at the beginning of this year, when I embarked on an extended, multi-faceted search for water, in the face of a terrible drought in my area.

My islander's innate restlessness manifests itself in the variety of ways I've explored the topic of water and the watery life,

from fountains to sea creatures to rocky bays,

and to the trips I've taken in pursuit of water, from Hawaii to Paris to Iceland, with some stops in North Carolina creeks along the way.



As I painted and drew this year, I realized that it is NOT vast panoramas of water that interest me as an artist, though I admire this approach when it is taken by others. And I am not drawn to painting specific locales or rendering picturesque scenes.

What excites me is the play of water around rock - the old idea of the irresistible force and the immovable object,the elemental calligraphy recorded by wave, rivulet, and reflection.

In the next year, and who knows how many to follow, I aim to find and refine my personal artistic watery idiom, always hoping (and sometimes trusting) that I will be equal to the task.

14 comments:

Sarah said...

I love your rock and wave paintings Laura, having only seen your wonderful sketchbooks until now I am impressed with your paintings too. Fantastic, look forward to seeing more.

Cathy Gatland said...

Wow - those waters run deep! I love your water paintings, Laura, great to have another outlet for them here.

Anonymous said...

The waterpaintings I've seen on Leaurelines I found exquisite, some of which I see here, Laura,...love your thinking about water and no doubt your future explorations will be just as adventurous!
Ronell

Gesa said...

Laura, what a great story! And these paintings are so... well: full of water and movement and playfulness.
Yes: am also looking forward to more.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I can almost touch the water in these drawings and paintings Laura. They're lovely.

I love how you've expressed your emotions about water and the way it seeps (sorry) into your life.

Making A Mark said...

Great to hear yet another perspective.

I'm a huge fan of your watercolour paintings. It's the combination of colour and flow which you achieve which all of us who have ever tried watercolour would like to know how to do!

vivien said...

these are superb - the movement and translucency are fabulous and so right :>)


I too love the way waves interact with the rocks and the shore

and I enjoyed reading how you explain your feelings about water too - with a wonderful series of works - this gets very intimidating!!

vivien said...

these are superb - the movement and translucency are fabulous and so right :>)


I too love the way waves interact with the rocks and the shore

and I enjoyed reading how you explain your feelings about water too - with a wonderful series of works - this gets very intimidating!!

caseytoussaint said...

What a beautiful surprise - and you never said a word on the phone!
This a a wonderful overview of your work around water, which is always exquisite.

Lindsay said...

Ok, this is what Katherine's been talking about. Your take on water is so different! Your way of telling the story by the way makes me want to pull up a chiar and settle in. Beautiful post!

David Frankstone said...

I agree with Casey completely. This is a very interesting overview of the water paintings. I love this work!

David

annie said...

I have enjoyed your watercolors on Laurelines so much, Laura, and the calligraphic marks that you make, especially with brush. And these on Watermarks, today, are full of such lovely movement. It will be wonderful watching you explore "the elemental calligrapghy recorded by wave, rivulet and reflection" that call to you so strongly.
annie

Robyn Sinclair said...

Difficult for me to think of a painting of water these days without seeing beautiful Laurelines. You are more than up to the task, Laura to take this theme in many wonderful directions.

Laura Frankstone said...

Thanks so much for the wonderfully supportive comments. It's very nice having the added push of Watermarks as I continue my search for water project.