Sunday 16 January 2011

A promise of calligraphic sea life paintings to come!

Shrimp calligraphy

Blue crabs, yellow plate

Brittany-lobster-and-crabs-

Poissonerie, Auray, Brittany, right side of sketch
I was so happy to see Ronell's recent scampi sketches----they reminded me of how much I love painting and drawing sea creatures and I couldn't wait to get to the fish market to find some models myself! I learned last Saturday that it is not the season for shrimp and blue crabs now. I'll just have to wait until spring, but spring will come.
In the meantime, to remind myself and you of what fun it is to paint these creatures, here are some paintings and sketches from the past two or three years. These are MY visions of sugarplums!

10 comments:

Making A Mark said...

I love it when you do shellfish!

Laura Frankstone said...

Thank you, Katherine! Me, too!

Lindsay said...

OOOing and ahhing at all the recent work. Laura, this inspires me to visi the natural history museum in my town and draw the sea creatures there! I believe they even have prehhistoric sea life. (Hear Waterways wheels grinding slowly, shaking off the rust here.)

vivien said...

absolutely wonderful! lovely flowing calligraphic lines and free colour

vivien said...

absolutely wonderful! lovely flowing calligraphic lines and free colour

vivien said...

absolutely wonderful! lovely flowing calligraphic lines and free colour

Sarah said...

you are so good at this sort of thing Laura, stunning!

Jeanette Jobson said...

These sketches look effortless, as if the creatures are still swimming through the water.

I so envy you the blue crabs as we don't have them here. The colours in them are stunning.

Laura Frankstone said...

Thank you very much, everyone! I can't wait to get my hands and eyes and brushes on a whole new batch of them!

Art From Books said...

Great shellfish pieces! So vibrant!