Thursday 16 April 2009

Water Through Trees

I feel a theme developing here, water seen through the tracery of trees, different times of day, different weather and the inevitable march of the seasons.

The gallery has asked me to produce more of this subject, so of course I set to, stomped off down the creek to paint, rain or shine.


Sometimes the day smiles on me, sharp colours in beautiful sunlight. Sometimes the gods are sulking, or gently crying and misty grey rain sprinkles diamonds of light droplets on everything, I get wet but...




I love the result, the change in tempo and mood. Sometimes the wind whips across the water, cold and biting but throwing up variations in colour, breaking up surfaces.




So all to do now is varnish, take them to the gallery, adorn them with frames and hope that they sell... what an exquisite way to make a living!




11 comments:

vivien said...

oh I really like these

Spring is so much more advanced down there - the branches I did over the water were totally bare a couple of weeks back,

This will make a great series - I loved the first one you did and the rest are expanding on the theme nicely - and those drips of water glistening on the rain soaked trees are wonderful!

Making A Mark said...

These are really great Sarah - and definitely a great series. I'd love to know how you approach these. How about a WIP?

Lindsay said...

Really beautiful series! I love all the moods and the colors you are using. Isn't it great to be outdoors paintings in this LIGHT?

What size are these and can you recommend a varnish? I've got some oil paintings drying as we speak...too shiny for photographing. You and Vivien are inspiring me.

annie said...

I agree. a beautiful series. The pattern of branches and the light on the water, the rain on the trees. Breathtaking.
annie

Sarah said...

WIP coming up soon, I will follow the next painting from putting on my boots to delivery to the gallery!
Three of these are 6 inch square and two are 4 inch square, see my blog for size details. They are varnished with a matt varnish, you will find Lindsay that doing that makes them perfect to photograph and evens out the shinyer bits where you have added linseed oil or some such medium.
Thanks for the encrouagement me dears!
Off to the gallery this morning. xx

Anonymous said...

Lovley work Sarah, all of them!
Ronell

Jeanette Jobson said...

The views through the trees are quite appealing. I love the little spots of colour that blend together at a distance and give the water its sheen or hue or define a leaf or twist in a branch.

suessketchblog said...

These are lovely, I particularly like the first and last paintings which have amore abstract feel to them. They remind me of stained glass.

laura said...

Just beautiful; what a fantastic series ... It really captures that experience, which is so delightful, of looking through. I have so many photos of trees in from to water, but haven't attempted to paint them!

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

I, too, like the abstract feel of the first and last paintings but, the second grabs my heart. You've captured such dimension and the poem for New Leaves on your Red Shoes blog is like the icing on the cake. Bravo!

caseytoussaint said...

I love this series - especially the top two.