Wednesday 22 September 2010

September On The River

September on the Helford  River in Cornwall.  It is so much quieter, many of the holiday craft have gone home, there is a thoughtful quality to the air.  It is peaceful and perfect for a few small plein air watercolours.
These are tiny, the biggest being about 21 cm long, that is just a tadge over 8 inches and all about 8 cm high (3.5 inches).
Also shown here is the scrappy little sketch, done in Biro, which I used to "warm up".
I am planning to varnish the paintings, it is a new process which involves a UV isolation coat then picture varnish.  This gets rid of the need for glass in the framing which, in my opinion has three main advantages: 
Glass makes horrible reflections which I think detract from the painting. 
They are easier to post or transport and therefor sell. 
I can experiment with framing and adding things, these for example will be framed together with tiny found objects that I collected at the time.
I shall make a separate post about that. So be excited, be very excited... I am.
Now, I am off to catch a tiny ferry across this very river to walk the cliff, do some more painting and talk to a little gallery there... its a very tough life!

4 comments:

Wusel's... said...

great sketch.

vivien said...

oh please give us technical details as I so agree about not liking the glass reflectionss

These are lovely and tranquil and with a sense of early autumn

Jeanette Jobson said...

I love the light on these pieces. Wonderful stuff.

Making A Mark said...

I love the sunshine and watery haze feel to these Sarah - it's rapidly becoming one of your trademarks!