Tuesday 23 December 2008

The water of fountains

It's the bleak midwinter and yet I have visions of waves and rivulets, spray and froth dancing in my head. No time to work on my rock and water paintings until the new year, unfortunately. I'm leaving for Paris (and Bruges) next Monday for a short trip and this has made me think of fountains, a subject of many of my travel sketches there and elsewhere. With these memories in mind and with anticipation of seeing a wintry Seine and the frozen canals of Bruges, I put together a slideshow of fountain sketches from the past two or three years.
It's interesting to note that the change in my drawing style over this period of time. Practice makes better. Happy New Year to us, one and all!

7 comments:

Gesa said...

Have a very good break, Laura. I'd been to Bruges a few years back, in mid-December. Fountains is something I've never attempted to sketch, so I am looking forward to see your sketches!

Lindsay said...

Have a great trip Laura and I love seeing all of these together. The ice filled rivers are nudging me too....ice will have to be a subject to look into in the New Year. "See" you when you get back.

Jeanette Jobson said...

Enjoy your time in Europe and your holidays. I know you'll find lots to fill your sketchbooks with.

Making A Mark said...

These sketches were great to start with but I do believe I enjoy them more when seen in a sequence like this.

Have a lovely break. I guess we can look forward to some more on your return!

Do you know about the famous fountain of the small boy in Bruges?

Trevor Lingard said...

These are beautiful pen and washes.
Did you do these plien air.
Have a great trip and I look forward to seeing the outcome of your visit.
Regards

annie said...

I agree, I like to see a sequence on a theme. Lovely fountains.
annie3

Anonymous said...

As always, beautiful work Laura. Have safe trips and enjoy!
Ronell