Friday 16 January 2009

Meditations


While painting I find that a kind of meditation occurs, brought about by the level of concentration that painting requires.  So as I was musing on this I came up with a plan, to do a series of paintings which would be flanked or complimented by close up studies or meditations. It seems a very useful exercise, focusing the mind, thinking about shape and colour in a more abstract way, although these are not at all abstract.
This is the sketch which I will use for the middle painting in this planned tryptich.  The place is Kennack Sands see here

So I have my plan, my sketch and now I shall begin work on the central painting... all the while meditating on the passing of a great master who died today.  Andrew Wyeth.  I shall be deep in thought.  In my mind I will be walking the lonely shore, listening to the waves booming and remembering a very fine painter indeed.

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

I like the idea of the ancient triptc idea as having a religious connection...Nature as sacred. I like all three of them and the touches of white you are using for a bit of spray.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I like the detail and colour of the meditation pieces, very effective. The concept of the full scene, flanked by in-depth studies is great. It involves the viewer with the painting and becomes almost interactive.

Cathy Gatland said...

This is going to be wonderful. Part of the deep joy of watching the sea is the vastness of it, combined with getting lost in small areas of colour, movement and reflection.

Making A Mark said...

Fascinating - I love the idea of a triptych and the complement and contrast of macro views with a particular scene.

adebanji said...

Interesting feel- movement, flow, texture and great colour harmony!

vivien said...

I love the change of scale and the concept - and you've caught those Cornish sea colours beautifully, along with the constant movement

annie said...

As Jeanette says, it involves the viewer deeply. When I look at the enlargement of that double-page of the water and beach, and, then, scroll along the painting, I feel very much there and a part of it.
annie

Peggi Habets Studio said...

This is a great blog. Jeanette, thanks for stopping by my blog and introducing yourself. It is so nice to see a variety of w/c artists all in one place. Very talented group!!

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

Your brush work on the end pieces makes the the water movement lure me in. The center wc sketch is fresh and completes my capture. Can't wait to see the finished work!