Thursday 8 January 2009

Same Pond,Different Days



I've shifted back into watercolors only this time I've added ink to the mix. The India ink travels at warp speed though wet watercolors and gives an interesting sort of push pull with the media. This is one of the things I like best about watercolor: its collaborative nature (some might say uncooperative). More and more, I'm finding the key to discovering my painting style is to let go and expect to do many versions of a piece.

I experimented with different kinds of ink but found that Bombay India Ink traveled the most. My pre-mixed sumi did not budge one bit. This ink is also waterproof so I can rework layers as needed.

Others have shared their projects of multiple views of a beloved place so I thought I'd add my project too.

One of my favorite sections of the New York Times, the Science Times, published an article this week about the importance of coastal sand in learning about the health of oceans. You might find it interesting. Embedded in this post is a great slid show of beaches all over the world.

11 comments:

Patricia said...

These are absolutely divine!!

Anonymous said...

This is very exciting work Lindsay! I love the monochrome look with that hint of colour..beautiful!
Ronell

Lindsay said...

Thanks Patricia and Ronell. I debated about which slide show to use. The collage one showed the work off a little better but it did not present them straight up and down.

Making A Mark said...

I'm fascinated to hear about all the different sorts of ink.

You should do a speed rating as a blog post re which moves fastest with water and which doesn't move no matter how hard you try. I'm sure you'd find that a lot of people who work with ink would find it very interesting.

Laura Frankstone said...

Oh, these are GLORIOUS!! The best work you've done, in my opinion! I'm working my way backwards into our blog after my trip and what a fantastic dipping of my toes into the water! I can't wait to try some ink and watercolor experiments now! I'm thrilled for you about these, Lindsay!

Trevor Lingard said...

Lovely and fresh, and I wish I could do that!!!
Regards
Trevor

vivien said...

glorious and divine they said - and I totally agree :>)

These are lovely with their calligraphic marks and limited palette, the sheen of light and the zen like tranquillity.

Lovely!

vivien said...

glorious and divine they said - and I totally agree :>)

These are lovely with their calligraphic marks and limited palette, the sheen of light and the zen like tranquillity.

Lovely!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Your work has a unique quality to the light and strokes that the ink make and mix with the colour.

Very effective.

annie said...

I thought I had posted a comment here, already. The slide show is so Zen. Your brush work is a meditation for me.
annie

Sarah said...

lovely, simple and complex at the same time