Friday 1 May 2009

Antony Gormley - Another Place

I've been sent a link to this video on Yahoo which was posted this week. This is what the author says about it.
This is one of the six final videos I am currently working on in my last year of Contemporary Lens Media at Lincoln University. It is a wordless documentary about Antony Gormley's "Another Place" at Crosby beach, near Liverpool. In this piece I have combined visuals, sounds and music to allow the viewer to use their imaginations, enabling them to decide on what these figures are about. Music by Dan Whitfield. Filmed and Produced by Frances Twiddy.



For those interested in Antony Gormley's work you can find out more in Antony Gormley - Resources for Art Lovers. You can see photographs on Flickr here Flickr - "Another Place" by Antony Gormley

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh they are wonderful, I would love to see them for real, the barnicaled one is beautiful. I "adorre" public art like this.

vivien said...

oh I did enjoy that!

I think the video worked beautifully, the movement of ships, birds, cyclists etc was a great counterpoint to their quiet stillness.

A simple photo wouldn't have done half as well

I saw his 'Field' in the Tate Liverpool and that had an immense power IRL that can't translate to a photograph at all and this is rather like that.

Jeanette Jobson said...

These are wonderful. I love that they are literally in the ocean.

It reminds me of something similar that was done a few years ago and the 'Watchers' were installed on the 'Beamer' - a long stretch of rock reaching out into the ocean - in Flatrock, where I live. These figures stood stoically on the cliff looking out to sea.

http://www.tiesenhausen.net/press3.html

You can see more photos of them on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79152416@N00/64945165/in/photostream/

Lindsay said...

This kind of reminds me of Easter Island sculpture meets Andy Goldsworthy. Very beautiful and evocative.

Jeanette, I love the links you shared too.
And Sara, I too love the public part.

We humans seem to be fascinated with our watery origins....staring out to sea looking for what?

vivien said...

I agree Lindsay!

Jeanette they were interesting links