Monday 4 May 2009

Canvas and Paint

Canvas and Paint.
Oil on gesso board
15cm x 30cm or 6inches x 12 inches.

I am drawn to the boat yard, the abstract shapes of rope and chain, shadow and light and all those different surfaces and textures. Early on a Sunday morning, when all good folk are still enjoying a cup of tea in bed, it is the most peaceful place to sit and draw, just the sound of gently lapping water and the birds waking up.
Now, I have documented the progress of this painting and over the next few days I will make an attempt to explain my working process. I may not get through the whole thing in one post, it may be spread out over a few days and of course my fellow watery artists may be posting their watermarks in between, but, I can promise that over the next few days I will tell you... The how, the why and a bit of waffle along the way.
So tune in to Watermarks to catch all the thrilling installments!
Oh yes, I really want to know what you think of this painting as I may try and get it into a dreaded jury chosen art exhibition, what do you think?

3 comments:

Making A Mark said...

Wow - that painting makes me feel like I'm sitting in the boat yard! I LIKE!

I'm looking forward to seeing the WIP - it's always great to have an insight into how other people work. I really do think that's one of the aspects I like best about this blog - the way we look at the 'why' and the 'how' as well as the 'what'.

Lindsay said...

Looking at this painting also reminds me of the sound of boats...specifically sail boats. There is that gentle clanging sound the rigging makes when the wind knocks it against the mast.

Your skill really amazes me and I wish you the best of luck getting in to the show.

In the UK do artist's have to pay to enter a show? This seems to me to be most unfair and personally, I really get miffed to pay to get rejected. In essence, entrants pay to mount the show. It's a little like Hollywood making the actors to pay for filming with no promise of a part. (Now I've gotten that off my chest!)

Anyway, looking forward to your series!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Boatyards are infinite sources of inspiration as this piece proves. It has me scanning the image, searching for the little details that make the image come alive.

I think that is what makes or breaks a painting. There is the immediate hit of 'hey, its boats', then the secondary look to find all the elements that make it real.

Yes, go for the juried show. If they don't take this one, tell them I want a word!