Thursday 24 December 2009

A star in the east



No, not another Christmas story.  This star is a sea star that I found on Middle Cove beach today.

We've had a couple of days of wild weather which whipped up the seas and sent waves crashing up the cliffs to the tree line.  It was too wet and windy to try to get photos yesterday so early this morning I bundled up and went down to the beach in Flatrock, Torbay and Middle Cove to watch the water and take some photos.



This little sea star was ripped from its ocean bed and placed on the beach, overlooked by seagulls and crows luckily.  I immediately thought - gyotaku printing! and the little fellow came home with me.




I've played around with prints on several papers, including watercolour, card, print paper and tissue.  I will continue to experiment over Christmas to see what I can come up with.  I rather like the effect on tissue paper and recall seeing some experimentation with a sort of collage technique using tissue and printing over it.  I just need to remember where I saw it!




I put a slideshow on my blog of some of the photos that were taken today and will try for a video once I can get it uploaded.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone and the best of new years.

6 comments:

Laura Frankstone said...

It's exquisite---a great way to capture ephemeral life and beauty! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Jeanette Jobson said...

It is such a sweet little sea star, I almost hated to smear paint all over it.

Have a peaceful Christmas with your family Laura.

Making A Mark said...

Gosh I was a child the last time I saw a star fish! Makes me think of rock pools and crabbing!

You're getting so very good at your prints - I think it's an aspect opf your art you must do more of.

Jeanette Jobson said...

I don't see many star fish on the beach usually, but I know fishermen haul in some in most catches. I shall have to speak nicely to some fishermen and find more. :)

I enjoy gyotaku and hope to do more work with in in 2010 in a more concentrated project.

Unknown said...

Interesting image. Thank You for sharing.

Lindsay said...

This is beautiful. How delicate too.